Friday, October 4, 2013

It's October...

Which means fall and pumpkins and Halloween and costumes and candy and pretty colors and cool, crisp air and caramel mochas and dorky sweaters and (for me at least) going steampunk!

Like, it's this weird thing I have... I tend to get into steampunk around the end of summer each year, and go at it during fall and winter, and when spring comes around I go back to normal... or some other subculture. I tend to incorporate little steampunkish things in my wardrobe/accessories all year though.

I've been listening to this a lot... it's the only Halloween song out there.

But that's not the point of this post. It's Halloween season, and that means costume making! I'm going to go as Mystique (First Class version), and I shall document my costuming process. I have break next week (YAY!) so I'll hopefully have enough time to make the whole thing.

First, I gathered some reference pictures:

 

So I also have references from here. It's a great help, because it has little details that I can't really see on the pictures I posted.

Next, Mom and I came up with a list of what I will need:
  • short red wig from here ($18)
  • Yellow Vest (have to cut out side panels)
  • Black belt/suspenders... it looks like it also goes part way down her legs
  • black leather material
  • Jeans for pants+sleeves (?)... need zippers for bottom sides of jeans
  • Black boots (prob. my Ahsoka boots)
  • Cosplaysky has good references
  • Zippers for vest and jeans

Last night we bought the wig (I can't wait for it to arrive!)

Mom had recently bought a yellow shirt that she doesn't like, so she might let me use it instead of a vest. Seriously, trying to find a yellow vest is almost impossible! Nobody sells them! I found a great one on Amazon, but it was $20-$40. Crazy, right? I can't spend that money on something I'm just going to cut up!

We also might have some ski pants that I can use for the costume, but I have a feeling that Jeans will work better. The uniform looks to me to be dark blue, not black. Hopefully I'll be able to get the leather at Beverly's.
Alright, I guess that's all I've got for now!

My camera died, and I have no idea where my charger is, so my art will either be up waaay late or just combined with Octobers.

Have a great weekend everyone!




1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Mystique! That's going to be an awesome costume! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete